My hubby has a nationwide dart tournament in Las Vegas this coming weekend (Apr 29-May 2). Of course, I'm going with him to cheer him on! And yes, I'm going to try to enjoy myself. If you don't know me, Vegas is definitely on my "dislike" list. Not a city I'd evereverevereverever want to visit. I dont' like huge crowds, cities, gambling, prositution, drunken idiots. No, I didn't care for the movie "The Hangover" either. Waste of my $3 to rent it. Anyway -- back to the subject:
I am bound and determined to do this Vegas trip on as little wasted money/time as possible! And my Extreme Couponing diva is kicking in... When the trip is all said and done, I'm going to post all the money we spent vs what we saved. But for now, here's what I've got:
1. We live 2 hours from the airport and flying out at 6am Friday. Hubby has a VA appointment in Topeka (hour in the same direction) on Thursday. We are going to stay in Topeka Thursday night to save, more or less, two hours of driving (back to home, then back through Topeka on way to KC). We'll be staying at a local casino, where we have a FREE room comp'ed to us and also have 2 FREE buffets. We'll lounge in the hottub and go to bed early. Then, not have to wake up 'quite' as early to leave for the airport.
2. Coupon for 1 day free parking at MCI airport.
3. Security escort courtesy of the Wounded Warriors project and TSA. Saves about an hour at the bigger airports.
4. You can bring the miniature bottles of whiskey in your 3-1-1 bags. We are NOT paying $7.00 for a dixie-cup of Jack/Coke on the plain. The soda is free and we can add our own Jack Daniels. Savings: approx $3 each bottle used.
5. Using carry-on luggage ONLY. Saves approx $50 in checked baggage fees.
6. Am planning on buying a 3-day unlimited bus pass to travel up/down the strip & to attractions $20
7. Getting a discounted rate at Bally's b/c of the dart tourney. Right in the middle of the strip. Going to ask for a room facing the Bellagio when we check in. Then we can watch the fountains from our room!!
8. I have mapped out the "Open Bar" locations/times for free drinks. And the Sahara has $1 draft beers 24/7. Long ways from Bally's but that's what the buss pass is for!!
9. www.Restaurant.com provided me with $165 worth of certificates for only $14!!!
Also have coupons for 2-for-1 buffets, free Haagen Daz ice cream, free Pretzelmaker goodies...
10. I have multiple coupons for Two-for-One admissions to shows, Freemont Street experience attractions, etc. Really need to find another woman to take advantage of my 2-for-1 coupon to the X-Burlesque Acadamy class. Hey - don't judge me. It's Vegas. And we get a free 8x10 and diploma. :)
11. On our return trip, we have a horribly long layover at Chicago O'Hare. But we qualify to utilize the USO station and so get free refreshments, internet access, and comfy chairs to nap in.
12. Biggest saver of all --- My mom is watching Angel all this week so we don't have to pay a babysitter. Win-Win situation for all involved!!
Will update either on the trip or when I return with spending vs savings!
- Sandy Myers
- Manhattan, Kansas, United States
- I'm a 33 year old woman finding her own way in life, while being a mother of almost 7 yr old girl Angel, going to college full-time and working as many hours as i can to get by. I've lived in Kansas all my life growing up in SW and now living in The ne corner for 12 years. My ex is a medically-disabled/retired OIF/OEF veteran (TBI,PTSD) and my daughter is topping the scales on height and knowledge of her age. I'm just along for the ride sometimes :)